Information for Parents
National Programs, Local Results
Each day, the Boys & Girls Club of East Providence provides our members with a variety of programs and activities that ensure that there out of school time hours are safe, fun, and educational. Whether your child is coming occasionally as a drop-in member, daily as a childcare participant, or in the evenings for teen nights, our staff will help them find activities that they love in our five core program areas: Education and Career Development; Character and Leadership Development; Health & Life Skills; The Arts; and Sports, Fitness & Education.
As an organization affiliated with the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, we are able to bring nationally designed and tested programs to the East Providence youth that we serve, including:
• With daily homework help through our Power Hour program to our wrap around education strategy, Project Learn, the Club ensures that members’ academic needs are being met afterschool.
• Our nationally-designed health and wellness curriculum Triple Play strives to improve the overall health of Club members ages 6-18 by increasing their daily physical activity, teaching them good nutrition and helping them develop healthy relationships.
• SMART Moves (Skills Mastery and Resistance Training) is a prevention and education program with an ultimate goal: of promoting abstinence from substance abuse and adolescent sexual involvement through the practice of responsible behavior.
• SMART Girls, sponsored locally by Blue Cross/Blue Shield of RI, is a small-group health, fitness, prevention/education and self-esteem enhancement program designed to meet the developmental needs of girls ages 8-12 and 13-17. Through dynamic sessions, highly participatory activities, field trips and mentoring opportunities with adult women, Club girls explore their own and societal attitudes and values as they build skills for eating right, staying physically fit, getting good health care and developing positive relationships with peers and adults.
• Positive Sprouts, sponsored locally by Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics, is BGCA’s comprehensive community gardening initiative, which strives to improve children’s habits of health and nutrition through the process of growing food for themselves. This program focuses on improving healthy habits for Club members by building and maintaining community gardens and providing Clubs with tools and resources to start their own gardens. The Positive Sprouts curriculum teaches youth about nutrition, gardening practices and cooking from the garden.